Re: [RTTY] Two Questions from a New Kid to the Group

To: rttycontesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Two Questions from a New Kid to the Group
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:30:42 -0700
Since you have checked everything else such as FSK reversal and PTT,
other than checking that the RF power output is reasonable, I would
suggest checking to make sure that your receive tone pair (determined
by software) agrees with your transmit tone pair (determined by the
rig).

Inside a contest, if you are off by 2 kHz, people are not likely to
ever hear you call, unless the band is pretty dead and the other op
opens up his passband or uses a panadaptor for tuning.  Outside a
contest, it is more likely someone will find you, seeing how deserted
the RTTY subband is.  That could account for the occasional QSO.

Still, if this is the case, I am surprise that no one has bothered to
mention that you were not zero beat.  But it is probably worth checking.

73
Chen, W7AY