Re: [RTTY] Crystal filter width preferences for RTTY contesting

To: "Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com>, "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Crystal filter width preferences for RTTY contesting
From: "Jeff Blaine AC0C" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:31:37 -0500
Chen,

Fascinating explanation.  Best technical treatment of this subject I've
seen.

The summary trade-off compromise (if I am understanding your comments
properly) is something like this:

1. With a more narrow bandwidth, we have a better ability to suppress
adjacent strong stations, especially their sideband amplitude - which will
somewhat increase the SNR of our desired station.

2. However, with a more narrow bandwidth, we ALSO cut more of the desired
station sidebands off - which reduces the received energy from the target
station, and thereby reduces the SNR of our desired station.

3. Complication:  **AND** Various implementations of the transmitted RTTY
signal (as well as the keying sequence of the data) - all effect the actual
bandwidth.

With this summary, assuming it's correct, what do we conclude the best
overall contest-duty -6db bandwidth filter for RTTY - in the case we assume
a PERFECTLY centered and tuned desired station in the passband?

73/jeff/ac0c