Re: [RTTY] Crystal filter width preferences for RTTY contesting

To: "'Jens Petersen'" <oz2jp@c.dk>, "'RTTY contesting'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Crystal filter width preferences for RTTY contesting
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:33:56 -0400
250 Hz is really too narrow unless one has a high s/n and
the interference is from a strong adjacent signal that is
activating the AGC.

As a first approximation the RTTY signal can be thought of
as a 22.7 Hz square wave ... to reproduce that square wave
with minimal distortion requires at least the fundamental,
3rd and 5th harmonics (22.7*5 or approximately 115 Hz) for
285 Hz.  Adding the 7th harmonic of the bit clock one gets
22.7*7 + 170 or approximately 330 Hz.

Most amateur filters are specified at -6 dB corner frequencies
where we really need to be flat or down no more than 1 dB for
the 285 Hz bandwidth so the argument would be for a -6dB width
of roughly 300 to 325 Hz.  Again, much of this will depend on
the filter behavior at the knee - how sharply it transitions
from passband to skirt - and the steepness of the filter
skirts.

Many have had luck in using "250 Hz" filters with shape
factors in the 1.8 - 2.0 range but these 250 Hz filters
generally measure significantly wider than nominal (see:
http://www.inrad.net/product.php?productid=214 or
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3_8_pole_plots.htm) so the
"250 Hz" reports should be taken with a grain of salt.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV