[RTTY] FW: Icom IC7600 and MMTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] FW: Icom IC7600 and MMTTY
From: "Gary E. Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:39:00 -0500

From: Gary E. Jones [mailto:garyejones@cmaaccess.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 8:38 PM
To: 'Dave AA6YQ'
Subject: RE: [RTTY] Icom IC7600 and MMTTY

I do not yet own an ICOM IC-7600 transceiver but am seriously close to making
the purchase. Therefore, I am not absolutely positive about this, but the
manual indicates right at the start that RTTY in the 7600 is FSK, not AFSK. It
is the understanding of a good friend of mine who owns one that the situation
is the opposite of what is stated below... that is if you do want to run AFSK
that you need to enable the signal out on the back panel and you can feed it to
an external AFSK sound card interface.

If someone from ICOM is on here, I would appreciate it if you would come on and
clarify this issue for sure one way or the other. Also, I see nothing in the
manual that while the 7600 does have a built in keyer, and from a keyboard, you
can put information into memory buffers that then can be played as in a memory
keyer, and the keyboard can clearly be used for RTTY and PSK, I can find no
information on whether the keyboard can also be used in real time mode to
"keyboard CW through the keyer (that is, live and not out of memory). Does
anyone know for sure.

Here is a copy of the manual dealing with the first part of the description of
RTTY operation.

  73     Gary     W5FI

"  ■ RTTY (FSK) operation

A DSP-based high-quality Baudot RTTY encoder/

decoder is built-in to the IC-7600. When connecting

a PC keyboard (pgs. 18, 19), RTTY operation can be

performed without an external RTTY terminal, TNC or

PC.

If you would rather use your RTTY terminal or TNC,

consult the manual that comes with the RTTY terminal

or TNC.

q Push a band key to select the desired band.

w Push [RTTY/PSK] to select RTTY.

• After RTTY mode is selected, push and hold

[RTTY/PSK] for 1 sec. to toggle between RTTY and

RTTY-R modes.

• “RTTY” or “RTTY-R” appears.

•RTTY tuning indicator appears.

e Push [DECODE] (F-3) to display the decode

screen.

• The IC-7600 has a built-in Baudot decoder.

r To tune the desired signal, aim for a symmetrical

waveform and ensure the peak points align with

the mark (2125 Hz) and shift (170 Hz) frequency

lines in the FFT scope.

• The S-meter indicates received signal strength when

signal is received.

t Press [F12] on the connected PC’s keyboard to

transmit.

• [TX] indicator lights red.

y Type from the keyboard to enter the contents that

you want to transmit.

• The typewritten contents are indicated in the TX buffer

screen and transmitted immediately.

• The text color will be changed when transmitted.

• Press one of [F1]–[F8] on the keyboard to transmit the

TX memory contents.

u Press [F12] on the keyboard to return to receive.

✔ For your convenience

The transmission contents can be typed before being

transmitted.

q Perform the steps q to r above.

w Type from the connected keyboard to enter the

message that you want to transmit.

• The typewritten contents are indicated in the TX buffer

screen.

e Press [F12] of the connected keyboard to transmit

the typewritten contents.

• The color of displayed text, in the TX buffer screen, will

be changed when transmitted.

• To cancel the transmission, press [F12] twice.

r Press [F12] of the keyboard to return to receive.

EXIT/SET Main dial

F-3

[TX]

indicator