[RTTY] Top band in RTTY Contests

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Top band in RTTY Contests
From: "Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:46:59 -0000
Hi all,

I have mixed feelings about using 160m in RTTY contests.

Firstly, I have no antenna for 160m, which rules me out anyway. But, that
also puts me at quite a disadvantage against those that do, in that they get
a whole load of mults I can't get.

I also wonder how many folk will cobble a 160m antenna together simply to
get on the band? This could easily result in loads of extra noise on the
band, with very little result for most.

There is also the matter of band-plans to take into account. Each of the
regions has a slightly different place for digital modes, and then you have
the country-by-country rules.
Using the USA slot for 160m RTTY could well end up with a lot of
interference from CW folk trying to protect their slot in EU.

And then consider the noise/propagation factor of top band. In most CW
contests on top band, you need a serious pair of ears to dig out a signal
from the noise. Is MMTTY really capable of doing this under contest
conditions?

It also seems to me that many of the folk in favour of top band RTTY have
used it at some point, and have made a few contacts. But, consider where
they were, how often you were heard/could hear, and then think about whether
it really is worth adding the band to CQWW, WPX etc.

My personal preference would be for a seperate 160m only RTTY contest. This
would allow many who DO have top band capability to get on and enjoy some
fun, whilst not penalising those of us who can't put up something for the
band.
How about you try a seperate contest first, and see how much participation
there is, and how many contacts are made.
If it is justified, then fair enough.

Just my thoughts

73 de Phil GU0SUP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091026-0, 26/10/2009
Tested on: 27/10/2009 18:46:59