[RTTY] Cherry Picking Calls by RUN Stations

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Cherry Picking Calls by RUN Stations
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:35:32 -0600
My pet peeve in the 2010 CQ-WPX-RTTY contest was RUN
stations that would call CQ, and rather than responding with
the normal ³CALL 599 123 123 CALL² or ³599 123 123 CALL²
they would respond with a generic ³599 123 123² then wait
to see if someone would QSL and send a report.  They would
then cherry pick from the strongest stations and respond
with a normal QSL and QRZ.

All this cherry picking technique did was to cause confusion
as it was not clear who the generic report was directed. Some
of us refused to send a report and would just send our calls
again. The RUN stations would then use a normal response.

I must be in a minority group that does not care for the generic
reports and cherry picking. There were several doing it and it
was like others started copying the technique.

I guess the technique will continue as long as powerful S&P
stations respond to the generic reports.

Off the Soapbox

73 Dick AA5VU