Re: [RTTY] Kenwood IF filters ???

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Kenwood IF filters ???
From: "K9OR" <k9or@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 19:45:02 -0600
David,

While I'm not as hard-core a RTTY'er as most are on this reflector, I have
had every permutation of Kenwood and Inrad filters in several 850's.

I prefer 400hz Inrad's cascaded for both CW and RTTY.
Or a 250 in first if, 400 in 2nd if.
Pick & choose, or both, depending on conditions for both combos.
Cascading equal width filters makes the 850 slope-tune control symmetrical,
if that's important to you.

I have tried 250's in both if's, just a bit too narrow and lossy for me.
I don't have good enough antennas to be constantly bombarded by S9+40
signals (wish that I did), but I appreciate the arguments for dual 250hz
filters - and roofing filters - for those dealing with lots of close-in Big
Guns.

While I am a fan of Inrad filters, because I prefer the 400hz bandwidth, the
Kenwood filters I've had are pretty good and a pair of KW 500's or a
250/500hz combo might work OK for you unless a fellow RTTY contester lives
next door.

73 Randy K9OR