Re: [RTTY] Motherboard Recommendation

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Motherboard Recommendation
From: " pcooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 01:08:31 -0700
Hi all,

Having gone through this process earlier this year myself, I agree with Jim
AD1C in that it is time to consider heading for the future, rather than trying
to recreate what you had.

I went for Win7 Pro (32bit) using an ASUS P5KPL-AM motherboard, which actually
has ONE serial port, and out 4GB of RAM in it. I know Win7 32bit can only see
3.5GB of that 4GB, but Win7 allows you to use a pen drive in a USB port as a
memory booster.
Surprisingly, this works extremely well, and really does noticeably speed
things up.
The processor is an Intel Pentium Xeon III dual core processor.

As an alternative to my previous 4 COM ports, I went for a Microham MKII, which
gives me all I need through one USB port.
Not only is this an excellent bit of kit, it is RF-quiet too.

Going from WinXP Pro with 4 COM ports to Win7 with all radio connections via
USB was quite a learning curve for me, but I have to say that I am now more
than happy with the move.
Win7 still has a few niggles for me, but maybe I am just missing something.
For instance, you have to go quite deep into the setup to stop all the USB
ports going to sleep. You can't share the C drive, only individual folders.
Even if you are logged in as Administrator, you still don't have Admin
priveleges over everything.
And a few other minor things.
But, overall, it is better, and there are even a few advantages to balance the
negatives out, such as the desktop gadgets.

It really is time to bite the bullet and jump in!

73 and GL

Phil GU0SUP