Re: [RTTY] Getting back into RTTY.

To: Mark Perrin <n7mq@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Getting back into RTTY.
From: Randy Hall <listk7age@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 11:12:46 -0800
Tom

MMTTY is a great piece of software.

If you were on RTTY in the old days, you are probably able to sling some
solder and build an interface. MMTTY supports both AFSK and FSK transmitter
keying. If you get a general sound card interface, you will be able to RTTY,
SSTV, PSK and many of the newer digital modes.

I like to run FSK, as I don't have worry about audio level from the computer
into the radio, and if your radio has FSK RTTY, then many times the filters
are offset to the RTTY tones. In the MMTTY help file you will find a couple
of one transistor circuits to build that use pins on a serial port for PTT
and FSK. Or, use an USB to serial converter.  You may be able to build both
into a small box. Audio from the radio to the computer can just be a patch
cable from the line/fixed out to the line in on the PC.

You should be able to get it going. I love the old style X-Y scope tuning
display, it works very good.

If you are interested in contesting, several of the RTTY contest programs
use the MMTTY engine, so you may kill a couple of birds at the same time.

RTTY is still alive and well, you should tune across the band during a
contest. The ARRL Roundup contest is in Jan, google for details.

Here is a video of me on the ARRL RTTY Roundup a couple of years ago.
Writelog contest software, MMTTY RTTY engine, TS-2000, Henry amp, and lots
of butt time in the chair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGiinrHXb1c

Have fun and be RTTY radio active.

Randy