Re: [RTTY] Interface Problems

To: "'Iain MacDonnell - N6ML'" <ar@dseven.org>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Interface Problems
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:53:15 -0600
Ed, I'm curious as to why you are trying to key FSK on a parallel port and why
you aren't using the Rigblaster Plus for FSK?

Check to make sure the radio is set up for high tones (2125/2295) 170 Hz (these
are the default settings) in menu 6-2.

There's a simple test you can do to see if the radio is shifting FSK OK.
Disconnect the line from your FSK interface but leave it
connected to the RTTY jack on the radio.  Key the radio into a dummy load with
the monitor on and you should hear a steady MARK (or
SPACE) tone (2125 or 2295 Hz).  With the radio keyed, short the FSK input of
the radio to ground.  The tone you hear should shift
170 Hz either higher or lower depending how the FSK polarity (menu 6-1) is set
in the radio.  If an open sends a 2125 Mark tone,
then shorting should send a 2295 Hz Space tone or vice versa.

If this works, then there's something going on with your interface.  Almost
sounds like if you are using the parallel port, then
maybe you are using the wrong pin.  FSK comes from D0 pin 2 on a parallel port
I believe (see http://www.g4zfe.com/rtty.html) Not
too many people use parallel ports to key FSK.

It may be easier to use the Rigblaster Plus for FSK.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com