[RTTY] Sneak Preview of fldigi-3.21 (Signal Browser for RTTY)

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Sneak Preview of fldigi-3.21 (Signal Browser for RTTY)
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 07:19:19 -0600
new capability that may be of interest to RTTY DXers.

Dave W1HKJ has added a Signal Browser option that monitors and displays a
number RTTY signals - like we have all seen in several PSK31 applications.
am not aware of another application with this RTTY preview capability.
This
new capability can be a tool to help with the old question of where is the
RTTY DX station really listening?

While testing an early alpha code fldigi release, I noticed V5/DJ2HD on
RTTY signing QRZ UP 3-5. I was copying him on VFO-A so I set my VFO-B to
be up 3. V5/DJ2HD sent a report to a station he heard UP somewhere and was
waiting for the station's report. I had the fldigi Signal Browser open,
pushed and held Kenwood button to monitor/listen on VFO-B and I could see
the station's response with the exact frequency of his transmission listed
in the left margin.

For once I knew where the DX station was listening UP! By using the Signal
Browser on VFO-B it was pretty easy to figure out how the DX station was
operating and I managed to get him on the 2nd call. The pileup was not too
bad but it was easy to see the calls of stations trying to get the
attention
of the DX station.

The Signal Browser is not RTTY Skimmer; however, this new fldigi capability
should be a useful addition for RTTY users. My only interest in fldigi is
being a satisfied user.

Fldigi-3.21.0 with the Signal Browser option that decodes RTTY is still in
alpha code and may be released later this week. Dave is cleaning up the
documentation. Look for his release notice and try it. W1HKJ's fldigi runs
on Windows (XP and Vista), Linux and Mac OS X and can be found at
<http://www.w1hkj.com/>

Happy New Year

73 Dick AA5VU
?