Re: [RTTY] Sneak Preview of fldigi-3.21 (Signal Browser for RTTY)

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Sneak Preview of fldigi-3.21 (Signal Browser for RTTY)
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 14:52:39 -0800
On Jan 5, 2011, at 2:28 PM, Richard Ferch wrote:

> The downside of using any of these for signal browsing is that you have
> to be using a wide filter to receive multiple signals.

I concur.

While they are useful for PSK31, the use of multi-signal capture (or call sign
Skimmers) is not so useful for RTTY unless you are using an SDR (or something
like an LP-PAN).  I have watched many RTTY contests inside a 2.4 kHz roofing
filter and there simply are too few stations in a 2.4 kHz passband to make it
worthwhile.  People tend to stay 500 Hz away from one another in an RTTY
contest.

However, on a good day you can fit two dozen PSK31 stations in the same 2.4 kHz
(I have seen all 21 slots of cocoaModem's PSK TableView filled).  That makes it
much more interesting,  but I have also seen PSK31 pileups that are wider than
that, even on 30m :-).

73
Chen, W7AY