Re: [RTTY] Come on, Why bother?

To: "Peter Laws" <plaws@plaws.net>, "RTTY contest group" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Come on, Why bother?
From: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@inbox.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:42:49 -0800
>"73 GL TEST" expresses the exact same sentiment 17 fewer characters
> (ignoring spaces and FIGS/LTRS).  Why, in a contest, would you do the
> former instead of the latter?

Simple Pete!

-They are not a RTTY bithead like you and me.
-They don't subscribe to the RTTY reflector and listen to all this rhetoric.
-They are what my good friend Hal, WA7EGA (now K7IRA) called "mom and pop"
stations.  Usually show up after church on Sunday. They know the contest is
on the air, or perhaps they don't, and when they turn on the radio they hear
loads of rtty signals. They load up a macro in MMTTY or whatever software
there using, and make contacts for which I FOR ONE, and many others on this
list (unlike you), are grateful for!
- I too am grateful for the fellow that did not use a macro. He simply
called me and hand typed very slowly, (we call them "gleekers") his
exchange. And what do you know! He sent 599 more than once! And he gave me a
serial number. I had to ask for his state.

Perhaps this fellow was the only Q' that I needed to WIN my section, state
or call area. For that, I applaud him!

Not EVERYONE that uses RTTY is on this list, or even has an internet
connection to look at sites like Don AA5AU's excellent site.

It sounds like you need an attitude adjustment!

Now pipe down!

73!

Jim W7RY
P.S.... Start the flames if you wish Pete.... I can handle it.