Re: [RTTY] CQ or QRZ

To: William Smith <bill.n3xl@verizon.net>,RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ or QRZ
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:44:34 -0500
Languages evolve over time, and the Q signal set (now 98 years old)
is just another language. Whatever somebody wrote in the dictionary
when the language was young may or may not apply today. Many old
dictionaries will show examples of this.

Those people using QRZ 's _commonly_ accepted definitions will
probably communicate more clearly in a RTTY contest.

BTW, on Wikipedia, QRZ is currently defined as "Who is calling me?"
That seems to fit pretty well with how we are using it. We have
dropped the "?" because it is redundant here.

Jerry W4UK