Re: [RTTY] CQ or QRZ

To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com, RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ or QRZ
From: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:54:25 -0800 (PST)
Bill W6WRT wrote:

"The very first RTTY contest I ever entered I won CQ Zone 3. The second
place station was behind me by one mult or four Qs. A lesson I never
forgot."

REPLY:

I have both won and lost contests by one multiplier or a couple of QSOs.  The
one that sticks out the most is the 2009 ARRL RTTY Roundup where Chad, WE9V,
edged me by 1107 pts (189582 vs. 188475) despite me having 145 more contacts
than him (1817 vs 1672).  Chad had 114 multipliers to my 105.  One more contact
would have given me the win (1818x105=190890).

Just one contact ended the winning steak at 14 years.  Amazing, isn't it?

So if you don't think one contact isn't important.  Think again.  Every contact
is important.  That's why I will go to great lengths to get you in the log with
the correct report on BOTH ends.

In the Roundup, if I was S&P, the report you got from me was CR/LF "599 LA LA "
(space after 2nd LA) and that was it.  I didn't need to send your call because
you already what your call is.  I didn't need to send my call because I just
sent it when I replied to your CQ and when you sent your report to me, I saw my
call clearly or I saw HI DON. hi

73, Don AA5AU