Re: [RTTY] software

To: "Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com>, "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] software
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:26:03 -0600
Chen,

What a great idea.  You are the master!

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Kok Chen
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:23 PM
To: RTTY Reflector

On Jan 13, 2011, at 12:56 PM, Dave Hachadorian wrote:

> Printed text never moves on the screen, regardless of linefeeds.
> This makes it very easy and predictable to click on exchange
> elements.

I had an interesting thought over this Roundup weekend.

cocoaModem has an option in its contest interface to convert all CR/LF into
space characters.  But it really is not what you always
want either (it will still jump a line up occasionally, and you also know when
it is coming).  But the appearance is not what the
transmitting station intended (especially those that line up their multi line
exchanges with extra spaces and dots!).

So this idea occurred to me: don't capture a callsign during a mouse down
button action (cocoaModem uses the right mouse button for
callsign and exchange captures).  Instead, capture the callsign only at the
time that you release the mouse button.

While the button is depressed, freeze the screen (buffer any additional input
away).  You can then steer the mouse cursor to where
you want on a static screen (with the button held down) and release the mouse
button when the cursor is on the callsign.

One of the keyboard control keys can also be used to freeze the screen.  But it
is probably a faster GUI (using a single hand) to
hold the screen while the mouse button is down and selecting the callsign when
you release the mouse button.  This should reduce
some of the "jumping-line stress syndrome."  As far as ergonomics, I wouldn't
be surprised if it becomes natural after a short
while.

Should be a trivial change in any software.

73
Chen, W7AY