Re: [RTTY] Forwarded message

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Forwarded message
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:13:26 -0500
>> No special SO2R box is required unless you absolutely feel you need
>> automatedfilter and headphone switching. With RTTY, you certainly
 >> don't need headphone switching.  Filters can be switched manually
 >> as I have done since day one.

To echo what Don posted, DX Doubler or any other SO2R controller is
not necessary for RTTY.  Even if one extends the goal to include
phone and CW contesting, there are other ways to accomplish the user
input/output switching (but if you're serious about a SO2R controller
I sell both basic and "Cadillac" versions <G>).  Microphone and DVK
switching is handled automatically within contest software like
Writelog and N1MM Logger ... CW and PTT switching is handled by
those same applications with a K1EL Winkey USB.  The only thing left
is receiver audio control and that can be accomplished with an
inexpensive audio mixer.

The receiver bandpass filters and *antenna switching* are far more
important to effective SO2R operation than an SO2R controller.  Here
the goal is to make absolutely certain that is is *never possible*
to connect both transceivers to the same antenna and to reduce cross
band coupling so that the noise floor does not rise and you can
actually *hear* the weak signals.  It is the area of antenna
switching and filter/antenna automation (band decoders, "double"
switches, etc.) that means the most in SO2R operation.

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.
        http://www.microHAM-USA.com