[RTTY] N1MM, Writelog, MMTTY, macros

To: "RTTY reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] N1MM, Writelog, MMTTY, macros
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:25:21 -0700
I've always used Writelog in RTTY contests, but gave N1MM a
pretty good workout in the BARTG RTTY Sprint this past weekend.
I think I will switch to N1MM.  Here are a few observations, in
no particular order.

The JA's definitely did not like my 1-1 exchange format. Next time it will be
001-001.

Some operators were gobsmacked with my S&P exchange - 345-345 - no callsigns,
no chat. Yes pal, that's all you get, and all you need. We both already know
who I am, and we both already know who you are.

I like W6WRT's idea of using the clrrx macro to clear the N1MM screen.
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/RTTY/2010-11/msg00100.html
It solved the "jumping text" issue that has kept me from switching to N1MM in
the past. It also has the added benefit of keeping all the action at the top of
the screen, requiring minimal mouse-movement.

I like using N1MM's esm, especially on run mode. You can keep one hand
positioned on the table to keep hitting the ENTER key on the numeric keypad.
You don't have to keep your arm elevated to hit the top row of f-keys, or
insert or plus or apostrophe. As someone said, you can be brain-dead and still
hit the proper key.

I still get goofed up occasionally using esm on s&p, so sometimes I did S&P
with the f-keys instead, especially when the s&p qso doesn't go exactly as
planned. F9 is my callsign, and f10 is my s&p exchange plus log macro.

I used mmtty's "fluttered fir" profile throughout, and like it better under all
conditions than what I had been using, which was standard rtty with a fir filter
instead of iir. Copy seems more solid, and I like the way the way the xy scope
tunes on the s&p radio. I did switch to AA6YQ's 512 filter on a few weak
signals, but it was hard to tell if it helped. I didn't have enough real estate
on the monitor to run them side by side. Maybe I need a 24 inch hi-res monitor.
I'll put it on my shopping list.

I like N1MM's ability to turn afc on and off, as a function of where you are in
the run qso sequence, and always off in s&p. I had to touch the rit only a few
times, where someone was calling so far off that his mark or space was outside
the radio's filter passband. No amount of afc is going to help that, but 99% of
the time, afc did it's job. I have never used afc with writelog, because I was
afraid that I would forget to turn it off under s&p.

I love N1MM's logthengrab macro. It takes all the stress out of the "thank you,
now" process. No more fastclick-enter-fastclick-thankyounow. Simply hit one
f-key, and the entire process is automated, with the second callsign coming out
of the grab box.

N1MM highlights callsigns faster than writelog. Writelog requires TWO
characters after a callsign before it will highlight. N1MM requires ZERO spaces
after a callsign to highlight. Sometimes with writelog, even if a guy gives his
callsign twice, if the first one gets trashed, and the second one is on-screen,
but the transmission has ended, you will have to wait for a garbage bit or two
to come along before the callsign will light up.

73

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.