Re: [RTTY] Signal Link USB

To: RTTY Contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Signal Link USB
From: NQ4S - Delbert <NQ4S@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:13:33 -0500
I use the SignaLink USB and for the most part I'm happy with it.  Still, if
RTTY is going to be your main focus this may not be the best product for
you.  As has been mentioned by others, the SignaLink only supports AFSK (FSK
over SSB).  Some radios which support FSK don't allow for the same filter
width in SSB mode as they do in FSK mode.  This is the case with my Kenwood
TS-2000 which will only go down to 400Hz for SSB but all the way to 200Hz in
FSK mode.  With this wider mode I have issues with adjacent signals during
RTTY contests and end up moving my mark/space frequencies around to snug up
against the edge of the filter in order to block out these other signals.

You may want to consider a solution which supports FSK keying.  One which
someone pointed out to me a few weeks back is the DigiMaster
PRO+<http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/DM_PRO_PLUS_complete.shtml>.
It costs a little bit more than the Signalink but it does allow you to do
FSK and CW keying.  One other advantage to this product is that if your
radio does CAT (Computer Aided Control) via serial this device will allow
you to hookup to the CAT port from the interface box while still using USB
back to the computer.  This cuts out the need for a traditional serial port
on your computer.  The only drawback I know of with this device is that it
uses a separate sound device which will require a second USB port.

I'm planning to buy this the next time I have some mad money lying around.
Until then I'll still be using my SignaLink USB an still making contacts
with RTTY.

Looking forward to CQ WPX RTTY this weekend!

Delbert, NQ4S
http://nq4s.stuffofinterest.com/