Re: [RTTY] TJ9PF now QRT

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] TJ9PF now QRT
From: "Gary AL9A" <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:55:08 -0900
Bill,

Yes, operating from AK has its challenges.  I dread the space weather
bulletins about an approaching CME.  When it arrives its like someone threw
a switch adding about 100 db attenuation in the line.  It starts suddenly,
but then dissipates slowly - sometimes it takes days to get the A index down
to something in the normal range.  Speaking of the A index that is one of
the key propagation indicators for AK.  While you guys are humming along
with a mid-latitude A index of 3 or 4 we may be stuck with a high latitude A
index of 30 or more!  When that happens you can say goodnight ladies and
gents.  One weird phenomenon, that unfortunately happens quite often, is
referred to up here as "one-way communication".  We can hear stations quite
well from S5 - S9 or more, but can't be heard on the other end.  If the
aurora is active overhead our signals get sucked up into the void and are
not allowed to cross the AK state line.  That's why some guys say "I never
hear AK on the bands."  Really ticks me off!  Oh well, when its good, it's
fun!

73,
Gary AL9A