[RTTY] Deleting Prolific USB to Serial Bridge

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Deleting Prolific USB to Serial Bridge
From: "KC4HW/Jim" <kc4hw@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:43:58 -0600
Wonder if someone might be able to help here.

Using a Windows 7/32 (Home Premium) operating system.

I have recently purchased a Rosehill 4-port PCI-e Serial Card.  It
appears that it installed itself without any difficulty.  It gave four
comports and assigned Com11, Com12, Com5 and Com5 for the last
one.  I don't know where they are right now.

The "Properties" for each of these comports allows you to designate
the Com indenity to Com1 thru Com(very high number).  In the
process of trying to change the Com designator.  I discovered that
Com2, Com3 and Com4 were "(in use)" and could not be to select as
a Com number/designator.

I previously had installed a Prolific PL-2303 driver, USB to Serial
Bridge devices on this computer.  Additionally, I had installed another
such device but don't remember the Brand.  Nevertheless, I used
these for RigControl and CW/RTTY keying.  Designating Com2, Com3
and Com4 for these functions in Writelog and N1MM.

So here is the question....

I am not using those devices any longer, so if I remove the PL-2303
driver will that release those comports and/or make them available for
use?

If you don't think deleting the driver will release these comports, do you
have a suggestion for releasing those comport number/designator for
future use?

Thank in advance for any help that is provided.  I am not a computer
guru by any stretch of the imagination.   So the only help that I can get
is through the RTTY or WRITELOG reflectors, thought I would try here
first.

thanks!

Jim/KC4HW