Re: [RTTY] Baud racing

To: dezrat1242@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Baud racing
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:22:15 -0400
In my experimenting days, years ago, I tinkered with AEA modems as well
as KAM and MFJ. This was in the time of the RTTY Journal when I wrote the
PACTOR column for Dale Sinner.

I was able to use RTTY 45 with ease. RTTY 75 worked, but it had a tendency
for more errors. I could only work RTTY 100 with one other station (which
happened to be local) on 10M. We could get 'print' but also a lot of
jibberish.

110 Baud ASCII did work on 10m with good copy, but tuning it in was a bit
difficult. 300 ASCII printed well but had a tendency to drift (probably
the rig) which required almost constant tuning to maintain copy.

This was just via experimentation and was totally non-scientific using an
ICOM IC-751 (NOT a 751A) with NO filters.

73 de Phil - N8PS

---