Re: [RTTY] Mark & Space - High Tones

To: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Mark & Space - High Tones
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 15:22:40 -0400
> On USB I believe the designations should be reversed, since 2125 Hz
> would be the LOWER RF frequency.

You are correct.  MARK is the tone that provides the *HIGHER* RF
frequency.  Thus if you use USB AFSK the conventional "High tones"
would be 2295 Hz = Mark and 2125 = Space.

Nearly all material on RTTY (and most Yaesu transceivers designed prior
to the FT-9000/FT-2000/FT-950) assumes operation in LSB as that was the
"standard" for nearly 30 years until the "lazy programmers" showed up
with multi-mode software like HRD, fldigi, MixW, etc. that only worked
in USB.

Unlike software from the "lazy programmers," MMVARI allows selecting
*either* USB or LSB for sideband sensitive modes like RTTY, MFSK, and
QPSK.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV