Re: [RTTY] Mark & Space - High Tones

To: WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Mark & Space - High Tones
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 06:18:14 -0400
Thanks Joe and Jay,

The common low tones used in Europe was what I meant. Unfortunately, in
in RTTY, 'polarity' is important. Unlike 'mirror modes' (which actually
has some other name that I can not recall) such as Pactor II or PSK-31,
RTTY must remain in sync. Mirror modes (NRIZ - Non return zero?) can be
operated in reverse or not. Hence, their major problem is that of where
to set the tuning dial.

SCS, makers of Pactor - use a low tone setting of 1200Hz/1400Hz which is
defaulted to USB. Luckily most manufacturers of hardware and software
allow the TX and/or RX tones to be reversed. The trick is to keep in
sync and (if your rig does not automatically adjust your dial) know the
offset from Mark Freg (Center Freq, whatever designation you choose).
By convention we use LSMFT, but I've seen plenty of Europeans operate
RTTY in reverse and it works just fine because their contacts all
operate in reverse, too. Sad, but true!

73 de Phil - N8PS

-----