Re: [RTTY] Shift 170 -vs- 200

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Shift 170 -vs- 200
From: Ktfrog007@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:56:33 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Back to an old thread from a couple weeks ago:

I run MMTTY with AFSK, almost all S&P both in and out of  contests.  I keep
the AFC OFF and pop it ON only if I need  it for some reason.  I have the
SHIFT set to FREE and if I'm having trouble  tuning in a station (for
whatever reason) I click the AFC ON and see  if it will fine tune for me.  The
instant I'm happy,  back OFF it goes.  This will handle unusual shifts,
although
if the  signals are very weak it may not work well.

When the QSO is over, I click HAM to put things back to normal again.

Do not run with AFC ON and the shift freewheeling.  It may  stay reasonably
close to 170 Hz by locking to those you are working, but  you can end up
with a random shift and people will say your mother  dresses you funny and no
one will like you.

73,
Kermit, AB1J

In a message dated 6/9/2011 11:59:14 A.M. GMT Standard Time,