Re: [RTTY] Question?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Question?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:06:08 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:36:28 -0700, Dick Wilson <k6lrn@gotsky.com> wrote:

>Someone mentioned something about stations being off 'about
>half the shift'. I found in yesterday's NAQP something similar. I
>was tuning off received signals anywhere from .05-.08. Where
>do I find info on bringing this back ??

REPLY:

This is usually caused by S&P stations having AFC on for receive but not for
transmit. As they tune across the band, when they get near a station, the AFC
reaches out and locks into the station. They then stop tuning, which leaves
their transmitter off frequency by a few dozen Hz or whatever the AFC range is.

The fix for this depends on whether you are running FSK or AFSK.

For FSK: Ensure that AFC is off when S&Ping and also that your receive
demodulator is set to its default, normally 2125 Hz. If you are using N1MM
Logger for contesting, there are two checkboxes that will do this for you
automatically.

For AFSK:  Turn on both AFC and NET. If for some reason you choose to not use
NET, then turn off AFC also and as above, be sure your receive demodulator is
set to its default, normally 2125 Hz.

I wish - a forlorn wish - that AFC had never been invented. It does nothing you
can't do with your main tuning dial. If nobody used AFC ever, the above problem
would go away. Ain't gonna happen, I know.  :-)

73, Bill W6WRT