Re: [RTTY] DXCC RTTY: Renaming RTTY RU & Rookie RU to Digital RU

To: "'Kok Chen'" <chen@mac.com>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] DXCC RTTY: Renaming RTTY RU & Rookie RU to Digital RU
From: "Stein Roar Brobakken" <s-roabr@online.no>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 02:54:06 +0200
> But seems PSK31 and other modes are more worth than RTTY QSOes.

What makes you say that?

*LA7WCA Arne wrote a email to ARRL and got an email from NC1L which says
something like "that there are more people having interest of PSK31 than
RTTY"
Why haven't there been any pool in ARRL / QST asking if the DXCC RTTY Award
is wanted renamed or not kept as RTTY ?

Why we having MANY BIG DXpedition which are running thousands of RTTY QSO
and 1000 ++ people which are VERY active in CQ WW RTTY and CQ WPX RTTY...and
other RTTY contests ?

I have seen there is a few QRV in PSK31 PSK63 contests, there are almost no
one compared to RTTY contest and DXing.

I don't see the clue of collecting DXCC in RTTY in contest and DXing in
future, from now it doesn't count for me...

I have make lot of new hams interested in RTTY which are little shy to use
SSB etc. This is how they can learn how to operate radio and take next steps
on the air...
It is about recruits into our Hobby and to create interesting new targets
for the youth..
Youth, recruits, contesting, DXing and computer is future of hamradio...
Isn't the future of young hams and ALL mode for newbie target for ARRL
===??? Because most of you already have had this award yourself???
I remember my first RTTY QSOes was when I was 12-13 yrs old operating with
my father while I was in the radio course in the clubstation... that is my
history why I still love CW and RTTY since early days.

As I can read on RTTY reflector and on eham is that other thinking that this
is a step in wrong direction to rename am award in lack of interests?

What will be the next in the future?
Maybe it will be to rename DXCC CW to Digital CW because people don't use
their straight key, but they are using  the computer CW is also a kind of
digital mode... or Phone will be D-STAR or similar for that folk wants to
have for their Award...?

May it had been better having an award of RTTY and 2nd of Mixed Digital for
PSK31 ,JT65M, Hellscreibe etc with extra text for that "mode" you wanted to
grant award for..

I hope some other society coming up with a new Award to those which never
had chance to get the DXCC RTTY award.

I always wanted to be a member of ARRL to support development of LOTW and
DXCC Program, but now it is not so very valuable for me to be a member
since I never can get this RTTY  award after MANY years for DXing and  RTTY
contests....

So for now we can make our own Award for DXCC RTTY and woody plaque with
RTTY in the workshop:) Since it will always belongs to the history and I
never can get it either from LOTW or DXCC.

73 LA6FJA Rag