Re: [RTTY] RTTY vs Digital DXCC

To: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY vs Digital DXCC
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:33:22 -0400

 > A couple problems as I see it:  1) No one asked the membership if the
 > change was desired it was announced with no forewarning.

If one will read Minute 29 from the complete minutes of the ARRL Board
Meeting:
<http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/Board%20Meetings/2011%20Second%20MeetingMinutes%281%29.pdf>,

page 9, one can see that
this change was recommended by the DX Advisory Committee (DXAC) and
reviewed by the Programs & Services Committee (PSC) as well as HQ staff
(I presume that means the DXCC Desk).

A recommendation from/by the DXAC does not exactly match with "no one
asked the membership."  DXAC is charged with representing the membership
on DXCC matters.  While I doubt that either DXAC, PSC or the DXCC desk
conducted a scientific survey of the membership as a whole or DXCC
members in particular, I am sure that members of those committees did
engage in discussions with at least some portion of the membership.  I
am reasonably sure that DXAC did not expect that changing the name of
"RTTY DXCC" in order to more accurately describe the nature of the
award - whether the final name was RTTY/Digital DXCC, Digital Mixed,
or Digital as was finally selected - would be any more controversial
than PHONE DXCC instead of SSB DXCC.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV