Re: [RTTY] (no subject)

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] (no subject)
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:31:00 -0700
On Aug 23, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Bill, W6WRT wrote:

> [AFSK] also allows a skimmer-like operation when using a very wide bandwidth.

Although I have been using AFSK exclusively for a number of years now, you do
not need to use AFSK to do what Bill mentioned. You just need:

(1) a companion SDR for receiving.  This could be an SDR that takes its input
from the antenna, or it could be an SDR that you hang off the first IF output
of the transceiver before a roofing filter (like how you would use an LP-PAN),

*and*

(2) the RTTY panoramic demodulator (what people calls a "skimmer" after the
name of VE3NEA's CW program) knows how to apply an XIT through CAT, for moving
the FSK transmitter to the "right location."  For rigs whose XIT range is too
small, you can receive with the A VFO and transmit with the B VFO, and the CAT
can just manipulate the B VFO frequency.

73
Chen, W7AY