Re: [RTTY] (no subject)

To: Doug Hall <k4dsp.doug@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] (no subject)
From: WS7I <ws7ik7tj@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:24:46 -0700
Brings back several memories.  First of all I just picked up a DX-60B which
was the first transmitter kit that I built.  Actually mine was an A model.
Guess I'll check out Doug's link.

But the other was the constant adjustment.  Started RTTY Contesting with my
old buddy, Hal, WA7EGA, and he had this old pair of Kenwood Twins that he
FSK'd with the feed through cap to the VFO tube as well.

We were banging away on the old keyboard and the phone rang,  Since I was
logging on the Atari computer for Hal, I picked it up.  The voice on the
line said, is Mr. Howard Blegen available.  I said back no not really we are
doing a contest.  He then identified himself as the FCC monitoring station.
I quickly handed Hal the phone and said, "Hal the FCC is on the line".  Hal
figured it was a neighbor as he lit up lights all over his neighborhood and
was quite famous.  The FCC guy sez are you transmitting.  Hal said yes we
are.  14.088.0 with exactly a 170 Hz shift (we set it with the frequency
counter several times a contest).  The guy tuned up there and so oh, yes you
are...on 14.088.0 and the shift looks good, the problem is that you are also
on 13.99x.xx and that is Air Force Transcon net and you are blocking them.
What are you using for an AMP?  Hal explained about the fine of ThunderBolt
that we used in early contests.  Guy said well shut it down.   Which we
did.  That was SARTG of 198? can't quite remember and those Kenwood Twins
were sold at the September Spokane Hamfest for a quite cheap price and Hal
then went to the ICOM 751 which we both ran for several years.

So much for FSKing some old rigs!

Jay WS7I