[RTTY] mmtty sound card alignment

To: "rtty contesting rttycontesting" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] mmtty sound card alignment
From: "Mark n2qt" <n2qt@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 08:43:37 -0500
During the RTTY Roundup practice session I found EVERYONE was responding to
me about 40-50 hz
off.  I use FSK on a k3 and have all the setting ‘right’ no afc, tone
frequencies are correct; the rig has
the correct tones/offsets etc.   I run SO2R so it was easy to verify my
rx/tx tones were not aligned on
the one rig.

I am using a new motherboard sound card, a Via HD something or other.  I’ve
never had to calibrate
a sound card but figured it was that or play with the frequency settings in
mmtty.

One of the suggested settings besides the familiar 11025hz, was 12000hz.
Changing to it aligned
my transmit and receive tones perfectly so I didn’t need to do anything
else.

I’ve tried to find out why things worked like this but with no luck.  It
seems unlikely that the sound card
would be so far off, or that it wouldn’t run with the standard 11025hz, but
there is a look hidden in there.

So here’s one more thing to check out if you notice a lot of off freq
callers (or if you get asked for
repeats when answering others).

Mark n2qt
(hopefully on freq for RU!)