Re: [RTTY] mmtty sound card alignment

To: Mark n2qt <n2qt@verizon.net>, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] mmtty sound card alignment
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 10:58:04 -0500
> I’ve tried to find out why things worked like this but with no luck.
> It seems unlikely that the sound card would be so far off, or that
> it wouldn’t run with the standard 11025hz, but there is a look hidden
> in there.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7, the operating system does not
allow individual applications which share the sound card to set the
sound card's sample rate.  Instead the operating system's hardware
abstraction layer (HAL) will *resample* the data stream (interpolate
data values) to provide audio samples to the application at the rate
the application requires.

When the sound card's default format (Windows Control Panel, Sound,
Recording Devices, <device>, Advanced) is 48000 and an application
requests a sample rate that is not an integral divisor of the default
sample rate the clock rate will not be exact - resulting in differences
from transmit to receive.

The default format for most "motherboard" or add-in cards (PCI/PCI-E)
is set by their custom drivers (supplied by the manufacturer) and is
generally 44,100 Hz (CD Quality).  However, the default format for
external (USB) sound cards is set to 48,000 Hz (DVD Quality) by the
Microsoft driver built into he operating system.

There are two solutions:

1) Set the clock rate in MMTTY (and MMVARI) to 12,000 - this removes
    the offset (48000 Hz Receive, 44100 Hz transmit) between the sample
    rates.

2) Reset the Windows "Default format" to 44100 Hz (CD Quality).  This
    also removes the offset.

Either solution will work if your only sound card digital program
is MMTTY.  If you use other software - particularly if you use
multiple programs at the same time or switch between programs,
changing the MMTTY/MMVARI sample rate to 12000 may be a better idea
since there are some programs that use fixed 48000 Hz sample rates.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV