Re: [RTTY] Contest exchanges:Adding their call

To: "RTTY reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Contest exchanges:Adding their call
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:31:34 -0700
>there have been conditions where it may take a few (or more)
>characters before my software tracks the other station and I
>miss the
>beginning of the  exchange.

Your decoder squelch may have a settling time to establish its
threshold.  I like to run with squelch OFF, or at least set well
below prevailing signal levels.  You get more garbage characters
in the absence of any signals, but that is really not a problem.
Whenever a signal is present, the garbage stops printing.

In MMTTY, click the SQ button to turn squelch off, or left-click
in the green area to set the squelch to a low level.  The squelch
threshold is indicated by the thin black line in the green signal
area.  You can move the line around by left-clicking in that
window.

It is also possible that your rig is taking a while to set its
receive agc level.  Turning RF gain down, and using fast AGC may
help with that.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.