Re: [RTTY] Take Two RTTY Exchange

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Take Two RTTY Exchange
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:52:28 -0800
> As I stated, only two guys miscopied CA.

I stated it correctly in my second post. For my third post, I should have
been as precise as I was in my second post.

Of the people who submitted logs, only two miscopied my CA. And of the
people who submitted logs, only three miscopied W6SX.

> Are you sure of that?

I'm sure that, of people submitting logs, only two miscopied CA.

> If someone miscopied CA as CO or CT, how would you ever know?

The only way I ever know is from my Log Check Report, and it only reports
on people who submit logs.

Hypothetically, if I sent 599 CA CA CA, I still wouldn't know if someone
miscopied CA. I send my call twice when CQing and when answering CQs, and I
repeat my call twice when I hear my call garbled or wrong, but people still
sometimes log my call incorrectly. I have no way of knowing until I get my
LCR.

If I send 599 CA, and the other station sends R or TU or some
acknowledgement, then I can only assume he is satisfied that he has it
right. Or, he can ask for a repeat. Of my 1250 Roundup contacts, only four
asked for state repeat.

As someone else said, it is the responsibility of the other station to copy
me correctly. It may sound harsh, and I don't mean it to, but he is the one
who has to make sure he has it right. If he's not sure, he has to ask for a
repeat. My responsibility is to help him, and I always respond patiently to
requests for repeats, as many times as necessary.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light