Re: [RTTY] Dupes now sorted what about busted serial's

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dupes now sorted what about busted serial's
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:59:42 -0400
No and maybe.

No, the station who busted the exchange and puts '001' in the serial number
field did not have a valid QSO and log checking will not count his QSO
because it will not cross-check with the other log.

Maybe, if the other station logged the QSO correctly in his log.

That is, a given QSO can be invalid in one long and valid in the other log.

Further comment:  No matter what happens on your side of the QSO, if there
is any chance that the other guy logged the QSO, then you should leave the
QSO in your log so he doesn't get a NIL penalty.  The exception is if you're
sure he didn't QSL the contact and so you choose to delete the QSO as not
complete so YOU don't get a NIL.  It is also possible he did QSL and you
missed it somehow.  At some point you just have to use your best judgment
and move on.  It will never be perfect ... we should just try make our best
shot.  Don't argue about dupes, don't waste any time thinking about dupes,
just work and log them.  If you must think about dupes, think positive
things like, "Gosh, I'm sure glad he duped me because I must not be in his
log and he just saved me a NIL penalty!"

Ed - P49X

Ed, P49X, wrote:
> >This is good practice although some log check software won't accept '000'
> as
> >a valid serial number.

Mike, K9NW, replied: