Re: [RTTY] SO2R Problem

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SO2R Problem
From: "Dan Thompson" <w4uh@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:39:05 -0500
Hang in there Tom, don't give up the ship!

I have been a ham for over 50 years and have contested for 40 years. I
certainly have heard all of the war stories about blowing out front ends on
receivers, and have seen it happen, but not once has this ever happen to me.
I guess I'm either lucky or can't generate enough to RF power clause a
problem.

About six months ago I decided to run a test with my SO2R setup. I actually
tuned the right radio to the left radio's transmit frequency and transmitted
1500 watts with the transmit and receive antennas only 50 feet apart.
Everything worked just fine afterward. I then took my 3rd radio, tuned it to
the transmit frequency of my left radio, and put it on a receive antenna 25
feet from the antenna that was transmitting 1500 watts and nothing bad
happen except a temporary pinned S-meter. So am I just lucky or is it the
equipment I'm running?

All three of my radios are Ten Tec Orion II's. However, because of
interference reasons I do run two complete sets of W3NQN band pass filters,
but that won't help on the same frequency.

73, Dan W4UH