Re: [RTTY] [NCCC-blue] NCCC RTTY Sprint, Friday March 23 0130-0200Z UTC

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [NCCC-blue] NCCC RTTY Sprint, Friday March 23 0130-0200Z UTC
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:53:41 -0700
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Ed Muns <w0yk@msn.com> wrote:

RTTY is no different than the other modes, though some operators like to
> lengthen RTTY transmissions.  For example, in this case, some send "TU
> QSY".  I'm a strong proponent of not sending longer contest exchanges on
> the RTTY mode. RTTY contesting is plenty mature enough to shed these
> "training wheels".  Yes, there are always newcomers who are learning the
> contest, but the same is true in CW and SSB.

Longer contest exchanges on RTTY are not "training wheels." Longer contest
exchanges are bad practice on any mode. On RTTY, we should set a good
example and not use "training wheels" ourselves. With TU QSY, the QSY adds
nothing and upsets sprint rhythm. We all would be very unhappy if people
were sending QSY on CW or SSB. Let's set a good example and not do it on
RTTY. It's counterproductive and unnecessary.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light