Re: [RTTY] 2012 Dayton RTTY Contesting Forum

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 2012 Dayton RTTY Contesting Forum
From: "G. E. Janssens" <k5ww@live.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:55:06 -0500
The way I see it - if I may - is that she's accomplished nothing - other
than sitting in the chair - sometimes. And sometimes not even that, given a
recent experience with "her", where I called "her" for fifteen minutes, only
to get no reply at all, despite "her" 40 over signal. Uncontrolable pile-up?
No. Not one station calling. Just that "she", or whoever was in charge, went
for a coffee or bathroom break (or fell asleep?) and was NOT in control of
the station (K1TTT's, of course) for that time. No control operator ...
still illegal.

Looking at all her "accomplishments" she reminds me of a few fine gentlemen
I had the pleasure of meeting at one of Texas's finest contest stations, two
years ago, for the BARTG. They were so happy to show off their award they
got a year earlier, winning 1st place in "an" RTTY contest. Yet, about 2
hours into the 2010 contest, I couldn't help but wonder why they kept
shouting "here's another idiot doing this" and "why is this !@#$%@#%$
sending PPQ, or TOO????", behind me. Yeah, I had to tell them all about
missed shift characters. And they got 1st place.

You don't have to be a good operator, or experienced operator, to win a
contest or break a record. All it takes is access to someone else's
superstation. Fortunately she (somewhat) acknowledges that; but humble she's
not. I'd like to see her break some records from my station. Not that I want
to see her run away, crying, or anything.

Most of us, including myself, take credit only for what we deserve, from our
own stations. I don't have a plaque for what we did two years ago. And I
don't want one; because at least half of that accomplishment is because of
using someone else's hardware.

But, more power to her, I guess. I'd sure love to be a fly on the wall at
Dayton, just to hear someone ask "how many records have you broken from your
OWN station?". That would be my idea of "lighter"...

Mahalo,

Erik - K5WW