Re: [RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:49:29 -0700
To reenforce what Bill said, for quite a while now, K9YC has been advocating
the bonding of chassis.  This white paper is as good a place as anything to
understand the problems of interfacing to a radio:

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Jim has posted very often to the Elecraft reflector about this, but for some
reason, it keeps falling on deaf ears (as is the Pin-1 problem with commercial
interface boxes).

The biggest advantage of what Bill (and Jim) mentioned is the fact that a
transformer adds IM distortion.  It is much better, and cheaper to boot, not to
even include them in your audio chain.  IMD is not a problem if you use receive
filters that only lets through a single signal, but can be detrimental when you
open up the passband to multiple signals (for the same reason that you use 24
bit sound cards with wide passbands).  IMD can also be detrimental to modes
like PSK31 under single signal condition, but in practice, the transmitters
themselves are dirtier than mediocre transformers.

If you really must make do with transformers, K9YC's web site also has white
papers about transformers and Jim has many measurements.

I had already passed along to Don last night a decent $2 transformer (you need
3 transformers  of course for a transceiver that has 2 receive outputs and one
AFSK input), together with a slight better but much mode expensive one.

The inexpensive one is the Bourns LM-NP-1001-B1L, which you can pick up from
places like Mouser.  I have for example replaced the transformers in my K3 with
the Bourns.

If you want to splurge, I feel that the Triad SP-70 is a bit better, but will
cost you nearly $50 for a set of three.  You can also get the Triad from places
like Mouser and Digikey (heck, 90% of you who build your own stuff probably
already have accounts with them :-).  Incidentally, the Triad SP-70 (might be
the SP-71) is the transformer that are used in Larry N8LP's LP-PAN.

If memory serves, K9YC has curves for both the Bournes and the Triad.

One other trick that Bill did not mention is the use of balanced audio.  Many
halfway decent sound cards come with balanced TRS inputs (the ST-8000 also uses
balanced TRS, by the way -- this is not a new thing among hams, perhaps just
forgotten).

You can actually see a picture of this technique used here (with an E-MU sound
card) when I measured the IMD from my K3.

http://www.w7ay.net/site/Technical/K3/Content/imd.html

A short description appears on the second paragraph below the picture.  The
actual audio cable was some junk twisted pair CAT-5 UTP that I had hanging
around which I soldered to the 1/4" TRS plug.

Speaking of which, K9YC also advocates the use of twisted pair cables for audio
connections.  If you have time, go visit Jim's web site. You can have a fun
afternoon with various topics, from RFI to Audio to "Pin 1."

73
Chen, W7AY