Re: [RTTY] RTTY Bandwidth. Was: 18 Mhz Band

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Bandwidth. Was: 18 Mhz Band
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 15:24:51 -0400
Chen,

Thanks for the empirical confirmation.  When I posted my original reply
the 340 Hz value was from memory rather than bothering to consult the
ITU (also NTIA "Appendix J") documents.  For the benefit of others, the
ITU/NTIA formula simplifies to <baud rate> + 1.2 * <shift> where baud
rate is in bits per second and shift is in Hertz.  Thus for RTTY with
170 Hz shift the "necessary bandwidth" in Hz is 204 + baud rate.

For practical purposes, US amateurs can operate within 100 Hz of the
band edge if their transceiver displays the FSK mark frequency (e.g.,
Elecraft K3, Yaesu FT-1000/2000/5000/9000 series, etc.).  When using
USB AFSK, it is necessary to subtract the *higher* of the two tones
*plus* 100 Hz (or the "center frequency" plus 200 Hz) from the band
edge to determine the highest acceptable ("safe") USB "dial" frequency.
*note:* - 100 Hz for FSK and "highest tone plus 100 Hz" or "center
frequency plus 200 Hz" are approximations meant to be easy to apply
in the heat of battle ... and intentionally err slightly (50 - 75 Hz)
on the side of safety.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV