Re: [RTTY] PSK31 is faster (Was FD RTTY Question)

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] PSK31 is faster (Was FD RTTY Question)
From: Paul Stoetzer <n8hm@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:46:09 -0400
I sometimes feel like PSK operators are in their own little world. They
stick to that watering hole around 070 and don't venture outside of it.

I was operating a special event call earlier this year. I was responding
with a simple
'N8HM 599 599 N8HM' type response. You would think that it was obvious
that I was just interested in running stations, but I kept getting brag
files. I see that in PSK contests too. People just throw out their brag
files and don't adapt the QSO to the situation. That also gets
frustrating with DX stations throwing out brag files in marginal
conditions. The closings are also inane "Best wishes to you and your
family. Good DX in 2012. Thanks for this BPSK31 QSO #2323 on 20m. Logged
at 0142Z on 27-Jun-2012 73 OM N8HM DE AA1AA SK" Is that length and
detail really necessary?

I think PSK31 is a fine mode. Great in lots of situations and great if
you want a leisurely chat. Being that I'm not much of a CW operator and
have a marginal station, PSK31 is a great mode for my situation, but PSK
operators have become very set in their ways and don't adapt to
different QSO styles for different situations and it makes the mode
frustrating.

73,

Paul, N8HM