Re: [RTTY] PSK31 is faster (Was FD RTTY Question)

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] PSK31 is faster (Was FD RTTY Question)
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 15:02:12 -0700
Here is a suggestion.

Since many of the "PSK programs" really just use Moe AE4JY's WinPSK DLL anyway,
why don't "someone" who is Windows savy modify WinPSK so that it:

1) converts all upper case to lower case during transmission,
2) cut off the transmission right after the last 00 sync bits at the end of an
exchange, and avoid sending the unmodulated "squelch tail."

There is no need to modify the contest program/interface.  Just drop in the
different DLL.

Between the those two things, a good contest exchange should take perhaps half
of the time to transmit.  And, as Andy has pointed out, if you have a good call
sign, your exchanges can even be faster than with Baudot RTTY.

I can try to persuade Tom DL2RUM to do it on MacOS X by including an extra "go
into PSK contest mode" call to cocoaModem from RUMped.  Tom already calls
cocoaModem to use the "cocoaModem Lite" interface from RUMped.  I can simply
make cocoaModem Lite turn off the squelch tail, and Tom only would have to
convert upper case strings in macros into lower case strings.

The rest, such as sending their dog's name with the exchange, will have to
depend on behavior modification.

73
Chen, W7AY