Re: [RTTY] Software question

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Software question
From: Lee Roberts <ham@n0sq.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:04:36 -0600
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:17:08 AM Bill, W6WRT wrote:
> I have a question for the programmers out there.
>
> I wonder why some programs such as fldigi are written so they will run on
> almost any operating system, and others such as N1MM Logger will only run
> on Windows?
>
> I would love to run N1MM Logger under Linux. Yes, I know about WINE, but
> wouldn't it be better if it ran directly? From what I hear, WINE does not
> work too well on very complex programs.
>
> Is it more difficult to write cross-platform software? I know about Java,
> but I don't know much.   :-)
>
> All information appreciated.

You can probably run N1MM in a Windows XP guest OS running on a Linux host.
You'll need to install virtualbox, guest additions, and extension pack and
then install the guest OS. I wish I was set up to test N1MM on a Windows XP
guest on a Linux host so that I could say that it works that way. Anyway,
virtualbox is a better option for running the Windows OS as a guest OS on a
Linux host rather than using WINE. I do run both XP and Win 7 as guest OSes on
a Ubuntu Linux host OS and they work quite well. The key is that the Linux
host has to have Linux drivers installed for all the hardware before the guest
OS will see the hardware.