Re: [RTTY] Software question

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Software question
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:33:15 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:11:05 -0500, Michael wrote:

>Bill,
>  What O/S are you using Linux or OSX?  If OSX I would look into Parallels.
> If you want to try a free route you can also use an application called
>VirtualBox.  Both work well.  For my usage on my iMac I chose to use
>VirtualBox.  I have used DXLab in that fashion without issue.  But I have
>started using RumLog on my Mac and DXLab when I am in windows (I boot back
>and forth with BootCamp).

REPLY:
Running Ubuntu version 12.04. As I understand it, with a virtual machine one has
to actually install the secondary OS, right? I'm wanting to avoid having Windows
on my computer at all - just be able to run Windows apps directly on Ubuntu.

Maybe that's not possible but I'm still looking and hoping.

I have spent so much money and time over the years upgrading from several
versions of  DOS to Win95 to Win98 to XP to Vista to Win7... and here comes Win8
in a few months. If I can get Ubuntu to do what I want I will be a happy camper.
If it weren't for ham radio programs, Ubuntu would be perfect - web browsing,
email, document creation, videos, music, etc, etc. fldigi is a great program but
it doesn't do FSK RTTY natively, and I have yet to find a logging program
anywhere near as good as DXLab or a contesting program as good as N1MM Logger.
Suggestions in those areas would be appreciated.

I am thinking of going to a dual boot system. XP for the ham programs and Ubuntu
for everything else. Maybe that's what I'll end up with.

73, Bill W6WRT