Re: [RTTY] AFSK to FSK converter

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AFSK to FSK converter
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@storm.ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:10:11 -0400
Bill,

As I understand it you are using 2Tone from within N1MM Logger. If so, there is a way to use MMTTY to transmit FSK and still use 2Tone on receive. As your main decoder in the DI window, select MMTTY and configure it for FSK. Open one of N1MM Logger's Additional RX windows (from the bottom of the DI window's Setup menu) and configure it to point to a copy of 2Tone (use a separate copy of 2Tone for each window you use it in). The additional RX window is clickable just like the main RX window. This should let you use 2Tone on receive and still use FSK to transmit.

Note that 2Tone's AFC cannot be disabled (that's probably part of why it works so well). Therefore the tones it emits may not necessarily be on 2125/2295 Hz. Even if the difference is within the tolerance of the AFSK to FSK decoder, you might still find yourself transmitting and receiving on different frequencies. If you are using FSK to transmit, the Net on/off with Run change option recommended by G3YYD won't work. A possible workaround for this might be to always do an Align operation before starting an S&P QSO. You might try embedding an {ALIGN} macro in your F4 message in N1MM Logger; I haven't actually tested this, but it might be worth a try.

73,
Rich VE3KI

W6WRT wrote:

What I'm looking for is a board that will take the two audio tones of 2125 and
2295 Hz from the line out of the computer and translate them into an FSK keying
signal.

and

I've been running 2Tone and RiTTY by K6STI simultaneously on two
separate computers with the same audio feed and I have to say I'm impressed.

I won't say 2Tone is equal to RiTTY (few things are) but it was very close when
it came to picking weak ones out of the noise.