Re: [RTTY] RTTY below 14072, 21072

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY below 14072, 21072
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:34:33 -0700
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:15:11 -0700, AA7V wrote:

>Greetings,
>Ok, here is ur dumb question of the day.
>I am guessing the signals I am hearing on or about 14072 and 21072 are PSK.
>I am correct?
Yes, and you will hear other modes such as JT65 and MFSK between there and
14080.

>2nd & 3rd (dumb) questions, I rarely hear any RTTY below this noise.
>Why do RTTY contesters rarely go below this noise to operate even though the
>band plan says no issue?
Contesters pretty much avoid that area because there area lot of PSK non-contest
stations on. In a major contest you will find a few RTTY'ers down there but not
many, and even a few below that.

>If I call CQ below this noise, will I (1) get answers (2) be in any violation
>of the so-called band plans?
You might get a few answers but you will do much better between 14080 and 14100.
Here is the ARRL band plan:  http://www.arrl.org/band-plan-1  I believe there is
an error on the 20 meter section. Where it says "RTTY" it should say
"RTTY/DATA". You will do much better staying above 14080.

>I am trying to make certain I am within the rules for the upcoming rtty ww and
>as far as I know, I can operate below 14072, 21072.
In a major contest you will find stations spread out much more than usual. Do
tune around for them, but I recommend avoiding 14070 to 14080. Too many other
non-contest modes hang out there.

>Thanks in advance
>Steve aa7v

73, Bill W6WRT