Re: [RTTY] JARTS RTTY Coming Soon!

To: "'7L4IOU'" <7l4iou@jarts.jp>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] JARTS RTTY Coming Soon!
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 07:33:59 -0700
I agree that 48-hour contests are a physical and mental challenge that I
personally haven't mastered.  I've never been able to stay conscious for the
full two days without breaks.  But this shortcoming is not the only thing
that lowers my chance of winning.  If a good operator at a bigger and/or
better-located station participates, then my chances of winning decrease.
If not, then my chances of winning increase.  These are all things I have no
control over.

So, I've decided that "the journey is more important (and, satisfying) than
the destination".  I can control "the journey", that is, whether I
participate and how hard I try to operate the best I can from whatever
station I'm at.  If I win at some level, that is wonderful too, but its not
the main reason I contest.  I contest because I enjoy operating with high
activity and improving my operating skill.

For example, I operated 9 hours of the 24 allowed for single-ops in the CQP
(California QSO Party) this past weekend.  There was no way I could be
competitive, but this didn't keep me from participating as strong as I could
for the 9 hours I could get on.  I had two huge reasons for not
participating, but I ignored them.  First, my 20, 40 and 80 meter antennas
have not been repaired from last winter's damage.  Second, I had work events
that I could not miss.  But, there were 9 hours I could operate on 10, 15
and 160 and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Think about what our contests would be like if the only participants were
those who thought they had a chance to win!  There would be very few
stations to work and contesting would die.  Most contest participation
continues to increase because it is an ideal time to operate.

I hope there is lots of participation in the JARTS WW RTTY Contest because
that makes it successful and more fun for everyone.

Ed W0YK

Steve, ZC4LI, replied: