Re: [RTTY] JARTS RTTY Coming Soon!

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] JARTS RTTY Coming Soon!
From: Robert Chudek - K0RC <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 15:49:29 -0500
Let me throw in some additional ways of looking at this topic...

If there are no adjustments made for special circumstances, then why do they even bother to hold the Special Olympics?

Next thought... who decided that 48 hours is the best contest length in the first place? Why didn't they consider 24 hours instead?

I am not saying there should be an award for everyone who participates, but recognizing obvious limitations of the participants within the contesting community should be given serious (re)consideration.

Let's consider if there were 12, 24, and 48 hour periods within a contest. A big concession is, yes, it is more work for the contest sponsor to manage the awards. But for the fellow who must work on Saturday, he's automatically relegated to the "I'll get on just to improve my skills and give out a few points." There's absolutely no chance he can be competitive in this 48-hour event. If there were a 12-hour classification, the competitor within me says I would give that a serious shot, competing with all the other fellows who can't / won't devote the full 48 hours.

We're back to the "who and why did 48 hours become the 'standard' in the first place?" Does anyone remember when Sweepstakes ran for weeks? This type of change is not unprecedented in large contests.

Personally, my contesting is similar to Ed... I'll get on for the enjoyment and keeping my skill level up. But I know I would be more devoted and competitive if there were shorter "goals" that would give me a chance to paper my wall with a certificate. I would have more incentive to stay in front of the radio instead of wandering off to check Facebook, the weather outside, or simply sipping a cup of coffee while watching the TV for a half-hour.

These are thoughts for discussion.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN