Re: [RTTY] The Problem with AFSK ...

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] The Problem with AFSK ...
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:21:06 -0500

> I think you are confusing technology with operator skill.

No, I'm viewing the entire "system" ... you're very correct that it's
relatively easy to generate a cleaner signal *from the sound card* in
AFSK but there are so many more opportunities to screw it up in the
interfacing and so many do screw it up.  It only takes a little bit
of listening to any of the digital bands/modes to hear all kinds of
*rotten signals* (with respects to HPM).

While there is nothing that the sound card developer can do, FSK is
done in the transceiver so although the implementations may not be
the best, there is very little (perhaps some severe common mode RF
feedback) that can be done that will make it worse - unlike the
hundreds of improperly adjusted or connected sound cards we hear on
a regular basis.

As transceiver makers move sound cards into the rig, it will be easier
(perhaps) to generate clean AFSK and other audio based digital modes.
However, there is no reason not to expect (and lobby) those same
manufacturers to make use of the DSP modulation capabilities in their
new rigs to generate equally clean FSK.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV