Re: [RTTY] AFSK Tips

To: "RTTY reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AFSK Tips
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 09:17:28 -0700
Someone had a tip the other day (W4TV?) recommending setting the soundcard output level on the high side, thereby minimizing mic gain on the radio side, keeping unwanted hum and distortion at a minimum. That sounded like a good idea to me.

On the K3, apparently there is a special 400 Hz DSP filter that can be engaged in the AFSK transmit audio path. That filter has also gotten good reviews from the guys who recently did the FSK/AFSK comparison study. The MMTTY high order transmit filter also got good reviews.

I am also considering going to AFSK, just to get rid of the K3's whacky power transients on FSK. I am tired of seeing amplifier screen current jump all over the place. It makes me nervous.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona

-----Original Message----- From: Dennis